The U.S. Food and Drug Administration authorized emergency use of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine and the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine for the prevention of COVID-19 to include use in children down to 6 months of age.
- The decision was made after analyzing substantial data from clinical trials involving thousands of children, confirming the vaccine’s safety and effectiveness for children in this age group.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends everyone 6 months and older should get vaccinated against COVID-19.
Why vaccinate your child?
COVID-19 has caused more than 1 million deaths in the United States, including at least 1,433 deaths among children and young people (CYP).
- Data from the National Center for Health Statistics shows COVID-19 was a leading cause of death in CYP aged 0-19 years in the US between March 2020 to April 2022.
- In addition, tens of thousands of children and teens have been hospitalized because of the virus.
- While children and adolescents are typically at lower risk than adults of becoming severely ill or hospitalized from COVID-19, the effects of the virus are unpredictable.
Vaccination is the best way to protect children from COVID-19.
Where can you vaccinate your child?
The Hawai‘i State Department of Health (DOH) is authorizing hospitals, pediatricians’ offices, pharmacies (for kids 3 years and older), community health centers and clinics to administer the vaccines as soon as they become available.
- This week, DOH is expecting a delivery of 27,500 doses of the vaccines.
- Find a vaccination site at hawaiicovid19.com/vaccine.
What resources are available to keiki and their ‘ohana?
How can you get involved to support COVID-19 outreach for local keiki and their ‘ohana?
If you would like to contribute monetary, time, or talent to help us continue to create and disseminate resources to support local keiki and their ‘ohana with COVID-19 resources, email email@example.com. All donations are tax-deductible and go right back into the community.
Mahalo to The Most Irresistible Shop in Hilo for their recent donation. We appreciate your support as we continue to expand our reach to support keiki statewide.